Above all, love each other deeply because love covers over a multitude of sins. 1 Peter 4:8

Saturday, October 03, 2009

The God of the small things


I've been thinking about prayer. I'm sure I've been thinking about it because I seem to be doing it a lot lately. (Does, "PLEASE, GOD, PLEASE LET MY HUSBAND GET A JOB!!!" count as praying or begging???) Anyway...

Is there anything too small to pray to God about? Does the God who holds all things together have time to reach down and answer the prayers for those things that are seemingly minute?

So what's the definition of "small" and "minute"? As far as I can see in Scripture, we are instructed to pray about EVERYTHING. Philippians 4:5b-7 says, "The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about ANYTHING, but in EVERYTHING by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the PEACE of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (my emphasis)

What's interesting to me in this verse is that it doesn't say to pray for peace. Did you catch that? We spend a lot of time praying for peace in our small groups (not that there's anything wrong with that), but what I see here is that peace is a RESULT of prayer. And more important, it doesn't say to only pray about the big stuff, but EVERYTHING. If it is something that is causing you anxiety, then God's solution is prayer. He is near. He is listening.

And He wants to give us good gifts. Jesus says, "Which of you, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give GOOD GIFTS to those who ASK Him!" Matthew 7:9-11

It makes me sad to hear someone say, "I can't ask God for that - it's just too small. I don't want to bother Him with that." I say that nothing is too small, too difficult, too big or impossible with God! Ask! It doesn't mean that he's a genie in a bottle that will grant your every whim, but how can He answer you if you don't at least ASK? If He has inscribed my name on the palm of His hands and has numbered every hair on my head, then He cares about what I care about because He loves me. I matter to Him.

"I love the LORD because He hears and answers my prayers. Because He bends down and listens, I will pray as long as I have breath!" Psalm 116:1-2 (NLT)

1 comment:

Renee' said...

Good points, Lori! I agree that nothing is "too small". Even beyond whether a prayer request is big or small, I think it is about our relationship with God. It's about just talking to Him, faith, trust, love, etc. God wants ALL of us, EVERYTHING...big or small requests, good or bad thoughts, questions, anger, joy...ALL OF IT. It makes me sad too to think that anyone would think that there is ANYTHING that God does not want to hear from us. The funny thing is that He already knows...I think He is just waiting on us to trust Him enough or know Him well enough to know that He wants us to tell or ask anything. Think how it feels when our children, a close friend, our spouse will share something with us...especially when we already know it and we are just waiting for them to trust us enough to share it with us. I think that sharing our "small" thoughts and prayer requests with God actually honors Him as opposed to boring Him.